2/5/10

Motivation

One of the things I love about crossfit is how each of our fellow crossfitters can motivate us in different ways, even if they don't mean to. I don't count myself as one of the most competitive people in the world. (Actually, I'm competitive only in that I don't want to be "the worst.") Nonetheless, I compulsively check the board at the end of the day to see if I can catch up to certain people (who strangely, may not even know I'm comparing my numbers to theirs.)

Contrastingly, Meagan pushes me in a distinctly non-competitive way. She just tells me I can do it. The only reason I made a new Deadlift PR* on Wednesday was because she kept telling me that what I had done looked easy, so add 10#. How about 5?, I'd meekly ask. You can do 10, she'd reply firmly. 30# later, she tells me I still have more.

On Monday, I pushed my self non-stop on the running/burpee metcon because of the encouragement of both Meagan and Tom. Everytime I'd go back out to run, Meagan's smiling face would be there to cheer me on. And everytime I headed back inside for burpees, Tom's presence got me to crank them out non-stop.

So in that vein, I was really bummed to head to CFG yesterday without Meagan (who had gone in the morning.) I was in a distinctly "do-not-want-to-work-out" mood. I was no less surly when Ryan started giving me flack for taking my sweet time. I was even more displeased when he started making the "wrap it up" motion while I was mid warm-up. At that point, I agreed to start the WOD simply because I was annoyed and just wanted to get it over with. But strangely enough, that's exactly the type of motivation I needed. If someone else hadn't just made me do it, I would have languished. It's times like these, when Meagan is upping my max by 30# and Ryan is forcing me to do the WOD when I'd rather be procrastinating, that I can't imagine how people go to regular ole gyms. I mean seriously, there is no way they are having this much fun.


*N.B. Meagan conveniently failed to mention in her post that not only did I make a new PR at 185#, she reached 220#. Modesty much?

2 comments:

  1. Seriously. Loving your blog. Congratulations to both of you on your PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we've mentioned how star-struck we are that you read our blog. So let me say that now: it made our week that you read this!

    ReplyDelete