While I've been trying to pick everything back up, I've started thinking -- what is it that I really want? What is the purpose that is driving my actions? I know there are all kinds of good reasons for being healthy, but I'm not very good at doing things just to do them. I try to choose my actions to keep in line with a goal. And for now that goal is to get back into "fighting shape."
I can hear you now. Fighting shape? What are you talking about? As much as I like to remember the brief periods I dabbled in boxing and muay thai, I'm a lawyer not a fighter. (Though if I were a client, I'd hope they mean the same thing.) Like the term "home," "fighting shape" means a lot of different things to different people. So here's what it means to me.
Being in fighting shape means
- feeling strong when I walk into a ring, be it a physical, legal or personal arena;
- being rested and alert enough to face any challenge;
- being guilt free about the choices I make and the values I hold to walk with swagger no matter where I go;
- having a corner of talented folks who have my back;
- having a gameplan, but being able to change it depending on what my opponent throws at me;
- not being afraid to get hit.