4/7/10

Things I learned this week (or my last semi-whining post)

So my last post was less than exciting to read, but it had to be done.  And luckily, both writing it and reading your comments helped me figure a lot of things out. Here are some things I learned this week. 

1) I like constructive criticism more than placating comments. 

As much as everyone likes to hear nice things, I genuinely appreciate it when people put me in my place. Y'all are right. It's not the end of the world, and I'll get through it/over it. I was just feeling particularly stressed on that day and had to get it out before it ate me up. I'm taking y'alls advice and sticking to my food journal and trying to move, even if it's just walking a few miles each day with the puppy. I'm also going to try and get back to CFG every day, even if just to do warm-ups or get some jump rope/rowing in. I associate CFG with a) happiness and b) moving, so only good can come from that. 

2) Working out is necessary to maintaining my mental health

Honestly, I really think a lot of the frustration I feel right now is because I'm not working out.  Even if my body is isn't how I want it to be right now, if I were working out, it wouldn't matter as much. Knowing I could still rock a PR, push myself to do something I thought I couldn't, or just keep up on a WOD gave me a feeling of accomplishment each day. My job doesn't have much in terms of instant or even short term gratification.  Crossfit is what gave me that, so without it, I'm going a little nuts.

 3) I am no longer going to eat nuts.*

In trying to pay attention to my body, I've noticed in the past few days that I'm really craving veggies and berries, and while eating those, I feel great!  Enter just one serving of nuts, however, and I feel lethargic, heavy, dull.  On Monday, I was on the road all day, and basically subsisted on jicama and almonds. (More on jicama to come later!) The nuts seriously feel like they are just rotting in my stomach, and I was dead to the world the next day.  Sadly, I just made a super delicious batch of Melicious' spicy nut mix that I'm going to have to donate to stronger stomach than mine. If anything though, cutting out nuts will help with the weight gain, and generally make me feel better, so that's good. 

4) I enjoy blogging about science, workouts, and news more than blogging about me. 

Lest you worry, I will be returning to my normal random fact style of blogging soon. I felt pretty weird blogging about my internal thought process on this one, but in the end, I think it was the right thing to do. Bodies are weird. Science is weird. And seeing someone struggle with trying to do things right has it's own merit, so I'm going to chalk it up to that.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.




*Yes, I realize this is a random revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment