2/3/12

Sleep: Get Some

As if this last week and real life isn't study enough, Sweat Science has a nice post discussing new studies highlighting that less sleep makes food more rewarding.

I would also add that less sleep reduces willpower, but you probably already knew that.

What you probably didn't know (unless you've read Lights Out) is that you actually need at least 9.5 hours a night in order for your body to create enough dopamine and other good hormones to make your body run effectively. And that sleep needs to take place in a completely darkened room, with no stimulus. AND that the time you spend just laying there in that dark room before you go to sleep in important, too.

And that's just the tip of iceberg. I've just finished reading Lights Out and am pretty much petrified by how much damage I'm doing to myself for lack of sleep.  I'd make an attempt to summarize it for you, but 1) there's way too much information; and 2) I'm recovering from a sugar binge that took place after both getting too little sleep and working out too hard. (Maybe I should have written those first 2 paragraphs on Wednesday and I wouldn't be in this position.)

Over the next few days, I'm going to try and post about the information  that really stuck with me, but until then, seriously, go get yourself a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment